Procedures for Clearing an Absence
- When a student is marked absent from school for one or more periods within the instructional day the parent will be notified via the primary phone number on file by School Messenger, our automated phone message system.
- Students/Parents must communicate with the attendance office immediately following the absence to clear the absence. Per LBUSD School Board Policy, verification must be received and recorded within five (5) day(s) of the student returning to school after the absence. Otherwise, the absence will remain unverified.
- A student becomes a habitual truant once they are truant from a class three times. This may result with the student being referred to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) process.
- Positive attendance supports your student’s achievement. Every day a student misses school, he/she is at risk of falling behind academically. Not only is the missed day lost, the return day is spent catching up. Every day a student attends school is also a lesson in responsibility and commitment. Chronic absenteeism is defined as missing 10 percent or more of the school year, which is equivalent to 18 days out of a 180-day school year, regardless of whether absences are excused or unexcused. Chronic truancy refers to unexcused absences only. Students must maintain satisfactory attendance (over 90%) to participate in school activities, including senior activities.
How to Review Attendance Activity
- Log onto ParentVue
- Or, request a print-out of your student’s “Period Student Attendance Profile” from the attendance office.
How to Clear an Absence
Send your student to school with a legible note regarding his/her absence. The note must contain the following information:
- Student name
- Student ID number
- Date/s of Absence
- Reason for Absence (see CA Ed Code 48205 below for excusable absences)
- Period/s of absence
- Signature of parent
How to Clear an Absence – after the 5 day Board Policy for an Excusal Note
Visit Saturday School for details including dates for Saturday School.
- Absences may adversely affect class grades, participation in school activities, incur a loss of privileges
- Receiving truancy notices because of unverified absences
- Possible referral to SARB for continued absences
CA Education Code 48205 for Excused Absences
- Illness (note from parent or doctor) (per LBUSD, after 3 days of illness a doctor’s note is required) (District Policy of maximum of 10 illness absences)
- Quarantine under direction of a county or city health officer (letter from county or city health officer)
- Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered (doctor’s note)
- Attending the funeral services of immediate family member (one day if service is in CA, three days if service is outside of CA)
- Jury duty (documentation from court officer)
- Illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent (doctor’s note)
- Appearance in court, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, or attendance at an employment conference (documentation from court, documentation from employer)
- Immediate military family on leave
Note: Examples of absences for reasons not listed above are considered unexcused and include, but are not limited to: parent request, vacation, car broke down, overslept, family member is ill, babysitting, funeral services for a friend or non-immediate family member (aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.)
Extenuating Circumstances for Extended Absences
Please speak to the counselor, attendance office and/or the nurse’s office (medical related) for extended absences. Extended absences require administrator approval and are not always granted due to adherence to the Education Code.